We love kids and we love introducing kids and caregivers to early literacy skills and behaviors.
What is Early Literacy?
Early Literacy is what children know about reading and writing before they actually learn to read and write. It is not teaching reading, drilling or using flashcards. Instead it is laying the foundation, so that your child has the necessary skills when he or she is developmentally ready to read.
What Can Parents and Caregivers Do?
Take every chance you have to read with your children, tell and talk about stories, say nursery rhymes and sing songs. The most important thing you can do to foster early literacy is to provide an atmosphere that’s fun, verbal and stimulating. When you read, talk and play with your child, you’re stimulating the growth of your child’s brain and building the connections that will become the building blocks for reading.
What We Offer
- Storytimes that reinforce narrative skills, phonological awareness, and vocabulary building
- Featured crafts to encourage imaginative thinking
- Toys such as a kitchen play set where kids love to fix a play dinner
- Puppets which allow children to try out their storytelling skills on their grownups
- Cozy spaces where parents and caregivers are encouraged to read one of our many books together
- A calendar of events, programs and classes for kids
- TumbleBookLibrary, an online collection of books which you can read or have read to you
TumbleBookLibrary is an online collection of TumbleBooks – animated, talking picture books which teach kids the joy of reading in a format they'll love. TumbleBooks are created by adding animation, sound, music and narration to existing picture books in order to produce an electronic picture book which you can read, or have read to you.